Some basics: If the room is…
- 10′ by 10′ or smaller, a 17″-20″ diameter light fixture is recommended.
- 12′ x 12′, select a 26″-28″ light fixture.
- 14′ x 14′, choose a 24″-36″ light fixture.
- It should hang about 30″ from the surface of the table.
- It should be about 12″-16″ narrower than the width of the table it hangs over.
If you’re selecting lighting for a dining room and you do not have your furniture yet, here’s a calculation you can do to determine the right size chandelier for the room. Add the length plus the width of the room which will equal the right size chandelier diameter. For example, a dining room that is 12′ x 14′ would look great with a 26″ diameter chandelier.